Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Hope

/

Barack Obama is the Democratic nominee.

This day would have been historic regardless of whether Obama or Clinton had been the nominee. But I think it is a great day for the USA, as the Democratic Party has put forward the nominee who most exemplified statesmanship and class. Obama appears to be mature beyond his years. I think he has the ability to reach people who would not otherwise be reached by a Democratic candidate. He appears to bring a promise of integrity with him that none of the other candidates do.

Even though Obama is only the Democratic nominee and there is a long way yet to go, his victory in the primaries has brought, in my view, a certain redemptive quality to the American electorate. Most of all, I have the hope that things will be fundamentally different now in the corridors of power, that things will improve, that this country will once again strive to be the land of opportunity and the great beacon of hope.

For some reason, I am reminded of this scene/narrative---

“I find I'm so excited, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend, and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.”

--- Red, in The Shawshank Redemption

I kinda feel like that this morning.

/

Print this post

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a great day for this country, I hardly know how to contain my excitement- on the way to the airport even the cab driver was talking to me about this.

And that's one of my favorite movies.

Anonymous said...

Obama Nation!